Sunday, March 20, 2011

My Language Learner Identity

I was living in China when I was a child.  My first language is Chinese.  In China, except our first language Chinese, we are provision to learn English in school.  English is our second language.  So I've only learned Chinese and English.  Due to I usually used Chinese to study, thus I always used the Internet in Chinese. 
When I immigrant to US I realize that my English not good and I need to improve it, but It is very hard for me.  Now I am learning English in LAGCC.  At the same time, I am also taking a Chinese class in here.  For me, use English to learn more difficult than use Chinese to learn.  No matter reading or writing my Chinese much better than English.  That is no doubt that cause Chinese is my first language.  I will use Chinese to comprehend what I read.  Therefore, I am difficult to understanding what the article means.  I think this is related with my grammar degree. 
I am rarely writ email and letter to my family and my friend, because I feel make a telephone call is more convenient.  Assuredly I used Chinese in all.  I’m not used English to read every day, but I will used Chinese to read some news in my “Weibo”.  It’s a social network like Facebook and Twitter in China.  I prefer to use Weibo more than Facebook.  I think that’s why I come here 1 year ago and my English not improved too much.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Huitao,

    It's good to keep up your Chinese to read news in it and keep using it. But you should also read in English to build your vocabulary and idiomatic phrases, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think this problem is for every new immigrants.when we try to learn a new language is not easy to do well, so we have to pay all attention to do it, try to remember more words and try to talk english speaker more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the same feeling with me, if let they to learn Chinese, they will cry i think. vocabulary and grammar is what we need to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hii i want learn your language because i have many chinese friend. so, i could speak little bit with them in chinese.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Huitao, I agree with you learning English is not easy. it's same as me but i think English is more important because you live in U S. and learning chinese is more easier because you using Chinese in your lives.

    ReplyDelete